Monday, October 5, 2009

My digital Life

When I was little, I remember my favorite place to hang out was at my uncle Juan’s house. He was the only person in my family who had a computer with internet working, and, every time I visited he would let me use it. I remember that each time I had a homework assignment that had to do with writing; I would run to his house and asked him if he would let me use his computer so I could turn in my homework the next day nicely printed in a shiny white piece of paper. I was the only one in the class who did that, so I felt extra special. But back then in 1999 it was not a requirement to type your homework or to even do anything in the computer. Where I am from, not a lot of people had even seen a computer ever before, so it was not something that was expected from everyone to have. It was not until I moved to the United States in 2000 when I became a “digital” person. When I came here it seemed that almost everyone had a computer at their house. I was so amazed by the technological advancement that this country had. As time went on my English and Science teachers during eight grade started to ask for all homework assignments to be typed. But it was during high school when I became total digital. My classes involved online assignments, submitting homework online, even math assignments online! I was really impressed by the type of things that technology could make life as student easier. I even took a web-design class to fulfill my “graduation technology requirement” in order to graduate and receive a high school diploma. So it was not an option that everyone had, it had become a “requirement” now. Let’s not even talk about cell phones. When I was a junior in high school and wanted to get a cell phone just because it was the “cool” thing to have, but, of course, my parents not being from the “digital generation” wouldn’t allow me to have one because I was still not in the age to have it. And now, I see middle school kids getting off school talking on their cell-phones with their parents so they can come and pick them up, time change doesn’t it?
Personally, I love technology. I think it has made our lives easier. Nowadays, all you have to do is make a phone call from your cell phone to your friend’s cell phone to see where they are so you can pick them up, instead of driving around the same 4 blocks for like a million times. What about the advantage of being available 24/7 in case of a family emergency? Or, what about the times when you had to go to the library and look all over for two hours in order to find a book? Now all you have to do is type it in any searching-web-site and boom! There it is, 0.324 seconds, that’s how long it takes the website to find what you were looking for. Yes, we all agree that there are times when you have to go old school and do what we used to do about 4 years ago. Library, pencil, paper, mail letters, you name it, and it might be for our own good! We have to keep in mind that technology indeed is great, but it also relies on energy, a source, that sometimes it gone for a couple of hours and everything gets chaotic. Gosh! What would we do without our dear friend technology!

No comments:

Post a Comment